Here are my top 20 that I love:
- Hoping for snow (or at the very least, a really heavy frost!) - opening the curtains in the morning or glancing out of the window and seeing everything coated in white.
- The smell of the decorations box - OK, I know that’s weird, but the box always has a certain type of smell (loft smell perhaps?!) that instantly takes me back to childhood Christmas’s and gives me a little flutter of excitement.
- Putting the presents under the tree on Christmas Eve
- Having a house full of food and family.
- Trying to get the dog and cat to accept they’re going to get dressed up - albeit very briefly!
- Cold turkey and chips for Boxing Day lunch!
- Mulled Wine
- Watching Christmas movies - I can never decide which one’s my favourite, but I’d say my top 3 are “It’s a Wonderful Life”, “Elf”, “Muppets Christmas Carol”, and “Arthur Christmas”. Oh, sorry, that’s 4. Oh well!
- The sparkle of the lights on the Christmas tree
- Seeing Freddy dog in his winter coat - technically he doesn’t need it, but he looks so handsome in it…
- Enjoying the small squeaks of excitement that my daughter emits every now and then during the couple of days before Christmas Day.
- Going off the ‘Wish List’ and surprising someone with a really special present you know they’re going to love even though they didn’t know they wanted it until now!
- Going for chilly walks with the dog (bonus if it snows of course!)
- Playing ‘Spot the Lights’ to see who’s the first person to spot a house with their decorations up in the run up to Christmas. (I won this year, the neighbours put them up at the end of November.)
- Not having to think twice about what to eat - and it being OK to have chocolate or marzipan before lunch (or breakfast).
- Playing board games over the holiday
- Mulled Wine…. Did I say that already?
- Taking time off work and knowing that people accept you’re away - it’s the time of year when pretty much everyone is taking a holiday.
- That lovely relaxed feeling after Christmas Day when you can sit back and know that all the hoo-har is over and now it’s time to put your feet up.
What little festive pleasures do you have at this time of year?