Thursday 5 December 2019

Classic Blue - Pantone's Colour of the Year 2020

Now, I know I'm a total trend setter of course(!), but for a while now I've been thinking that things were turning a bit blue... maybe that's what influenced me when I was redesigning my logo this year!


I adore blue - it's a colour like no other: it can be pale, pretty and wistful, strong and bold, brash, businesslike, dark and daring - you name it. The colour of many a school-uniform, it's also a colour that lots of people have a love/hate relationship with in their late teens and 20's (I speak from experience)! 

So, with my love of blue, my new blue logo, and my ability to influence style gurus (ahem), it shouldn't be any surprise that Pantone have today announced that their colour of the year for 2020 is Classic Blue. They describe it as timeless, elegant and enduring (can't argue with that), with a hint of stability as we enter into a new era (are they talking the start of a new decade, I wonder... or Brexit...).

'Tea' Bespoke Word Theme Print shown in a classic blue shade
'Tea' Bespoke Word Theme Print - shown in a classic blue shade

There's been a real fashion recently for celestial galaxies and constellations in interiors and fashion - stars, moons, night skies, zodiac signs, are all incredibly on trend. And I'm hearing that one of the hot trends for summer 2020 is going to be a nautical/celestial fusion. Think night skies scattered with golden shells, glittering golden sand fused with stars. Classic Blue is a shade that I can see being worked into this new look beautifully. Here's a round up of some blue picks from the PhotoFairytales site:

Could it be a blue Christmas this year with these gift ideas..?!

I think it's also a shade that works beautifully alongside other colours too - it can be mixed with softer lilacs and the new nude pinks and coral shades, or with the popular mustard or moss green colours - and it looks fabulous next to gold too! I can't see it being quite as huge as the 2017 unofficial colour of the year, Millennial Pink, but I can certainly see flashes of this blue finding its way into our homes next year.


What do you think of the shade - do you like it, can you see yourself wearing it or decorating with it? 

Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts