Friday 11 December 2015

All hail: the Sock!

I admit I'm amongst the first people to declare socks as being one of the more boring Christmas presents, but today I'm feeling a little bit fond of that foot-hugging, toe-snuggling, under-rated little bit of clothing...

You see, today I am wearing BRAND NEW SOCKS! And there are few things in life as pleasing, in a small and subtle way, as a brand new sock. Come on, you know I'm right!

When you're used to pulling on socks that have seen better days, maybe a little holey, perhaps a bit lacking in the elastic department, that moment when you treat your feet to a brand new and unsullied pair of socks is a moment to treasure. There they are, perfectly paired, pristine and smooth flat in the packaging... perhaps they're nestled amongst a pack of 5 and they're all different colours. But you indulge yourself and pick the one from the middle because they're the ones that you secretly coveted the moment you saw them hanging in the shop. The other colours are fine, sure, but those ones - they're the very reason you bought the pack after all! You slip them onto your feet and admire the lack of holes and smoothness... bliss!

My new socks are indeed from the middle of the pack - and they're a gorgeous royal blue which goes rather fetchingly with my vintage blue jeans. Pleasing. Very, very pleasing....

So, whilst I admit, giving/getting socks for Christmas may not be the pinnacle of excitement they are a slow burner - the kind of gift that you pick up on December 27th perhaps, and think "ooh, new socks, I think I'll wear these today..", and then you have a little inner smile to yourself...

Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts